The Technische Universität Ilmenau (TU Ilmenau) is a German public research university located in Ilmenau, Thuringia, Germany. It was founded in 1894, it has a total of 5 academic departments (faculties) and about 7,200 students.
Research and education at the Technische Universität Ilmenau is focused on engineering with strong links to economics and natural sciences. It is the only university in the federal state of Thüringen with the title “Technische Universität”. Today’s university began its life in 1894 as the “Thüringisches Technikum”, a private training college. This took on the status of Hochschule für Elektrotechnik (HfE) before becoming a Technische Hochschule (TH) and in 1992 being accorded the title of Technische Universität (TU).